Sunday, April 17, 2011

Nurses and more

Dave and I would like to comment on the nurses at the UNC NICU (actually, it's the newborn critical care unit, NCCU).  They are amazing and we would not make it through without them.  They are compassionate, upbeat, understanding, and will go to bat for you against doctors and interns who have a can have a difficult time speaking to parents in a sympathetic way (don't know why they don't make interns take a class on how to speak to parents before rotating through the NICU and pediatric units).  The nurses explain things better than the doctors and know more than the interns and make you feel loved and cared for in the process.  I should say, though, that our first intern was also incredible.

Today Samantha got more to eat and may be up to full feeds and off her IV in a week or less, depending on how slowly they decide to up her feeds.  Slow is fine with us, don't want to push her.  Her GI tract already seems to be tolerating food better this time through than the last two times, so our hopes are up and fingers crossed.  Today she was a stinker and slept through the entire bottle I fed her, and the entire time I was there, but at least she ate and I got some snuggle time.

Catherine is doing well and we are hoping to get her to sleep more through the night soon.   Wish us luck!  She makes the silliest faces and I wish I could show you, but every time I hit the button on the camera it goes away.  My grandma would say she is a scutch (however you spell that word).

On a crappy note, because we can't go one week without something happening, it is going to take $800 to fix my car.  Sigh.  Let's ignore that and focus on silly baby faces.

Tomorrow great grandma arrives with grandpa to see the girls, and then Godmother Dani gets here, so pictures to follow!

1 comment:

  1. I personally loved Brandy. She was amazing. Tell her I said 'Hello.' I hope things are going well for her :-)

    ReplyDelete